History and present of Jessenius University
The Jessenius Faculty of Medicine in Martin is part of Comenius University, the oldest and largest university in the Slovak Republic. Comenius University builds on tradition set up by Academia Istropolitana, which was established in Bratislava in 1465 by Hungarian king Matthias Corvinus. Comenius University is named after the father of the world education – John Amos Comenius.
The Jessenius Faculty was founded in 1969 and became part of Comenius University in 1969. It changed the name to Jessenius faculty of medicine in 1991.
Faculty is popular thanks to the high level of education, modern equipment of educational and research facilities, and professional teaching staff. Furthermore, its location makes it also a very good starting point for trips and very popular among students from all over the world.
Level of education and organization of the study
The Jessenius Faculty of medicine in Martin educates international students with up-to-date knowledge within the study program of General medicine. Education is compatible with education in the European Union and in accordance with criteria for regulated professions. According to recent comparisons of ARRA (Academic Ranking and Rating Agency) achieve this Faculty the best results in Slovakia.
The main priorities of Faculty are therapeutic and preventive care and educational, scientific and research activities. The Faculty has theoretical, pre-clinical and clinical workplaces but most of the clinical teaching workplaces are placed at Martin University Hospital. Faculty of medicine in Martin is second faculty of Comenius University.
The Jessenius Faculty in Martin is unique thanks to the ratio of students to full-time teaching staff. Apart from lectures, all educational activities, such as practical sessions, seminars or tutorials, are carried out in small study groups – there are no more than 8 students per teacher. In addition to that, the Jessenius Faculty hires renowned international professors, who raises credit of this institution.
English study programs and international cooperation
After the fall of Iron Curtain, Jessenius Faculty was the first, which opened its gate to international students. Education to these students is provided in English. Currently, there are around 1500 students of General medicine, out of which are 700 international. Most of international students are from Norway, Sweden, Iceland or Poland. Over the last 25 years, there were around 500 international graduates from 30 countries from all over the world.
Besides, Jessenius Faculty is involved in international programs such as TEMPUS, CEEPUS and Framework program of the European Union.