About Pavel Jozef Safarik University
Pavol Jozef Šafárik University was established in 1959 and currently has more than 7500 students at Bachelor´s, Master´s, Doctor´s and PhD´s level. It is the second oldest university in Slovakia and provides education in both Slovak and English language. University cooperates with higher education institutions from all over the world and provides good perspectives for their applicants.
About Faculty of medicine in Kosice
The Faculty of Medicine in Kosice is older than the University itself, because it was founded in 1948, 11 years before the establishment of the University. Since 1992, there are English study programs offered to international students: General Medicine and Dental Medicine. Faculty runs under European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System (ECTS), which is a standard for comparison of study attainment and performance of students in higher education in the whole European Union and other collaborative countries. Faculty of Medicine in Košice is one of 3 medical faculties in Slovakia. Mobility of international students is growing each year and currently, they form 1/3 of all students.
Recognition of degree in EU and other countries
Degree from Košice is internationally recognised in the European Union and in most countries of the world. Degree is not recognised in Iran.
Locality of Faculty of medicine in Kosice
Faculty of medicine is located in Košice, the second biggest city in Slovakia. Košice is situated to Hungary and Ukraine, as well as to wonderful nature, for example, the High Tatras or Slovak paradise, which are only a few hours away. There is an international airport in Košice, which became base for Turkish airlines recently.
Students may apply for 3 types of scholarships: social-welfare scholarship, motivational scholarship and fellowship for third level of study (PhD. fellowship). Social-welfare scholarship is intended for students, who have a pernament residence in Slovakia. Motivational scholarship is for those students, who represent Faculty or University exemplarily.
It may have the following forms:
• The field of study scholarship – awarded for no more than 50% of students taking studying results from the previous year into consideration,
• Merit scholarship- awarded for no more than 10% of students except for third level students for an excellent fulfilment of their duties,
• Annual award of the Rector
• A special scholarship.
Finally, PhD. the fellowship is awarded to students at a third level of higher studying and possesses around 650€ a month.
Accommodation for students
University offers accommodation for international students in two dormitories: Medicka Students Dormitory, which is very close to the Faculty of medicine or Popradska Dormitories, which is about 10 minutes by bus from Faculty. There are students from around 40 countries in Slovakia, which means that one can enjoy an international level of cooperation and make long-time friendships.
STUDY PROGRAM - General medicine
General medicine programme is offered for international students in Košice. There is a tuition fee of 10.500€ for one academic year. Graduates are awarded degree of MUDr. (Medicinae Universae Doctor). There is a tuition of 10.500€ related to study programme of General medicine for international students.There are around 150 students of general medicine and 25 students of dental medicine accepted each year in Košice. A number of students in Košice is over 900.
STUDY PROGRAM - Dental medicine
Dental medicine in the English language is offered for international students. There is a tuition fee of 11.000€ related to studies of Dentistry at Pavol Jozef Safarik University. Graduates are awarded the degree of MDDr. (Medicinae Dentalis Doctor).
Living costs are considerably lower than in Bratislava and comparable to Martin (2 cities, where also another medical faculties are located). One should count with 350€ a month (which is around 3500€ for a year) – this sum includes food, accomodation and public transportation. Great news is, that University offers books for international students at the University library. For a refundable deposit of 500€ they get access to all coursebooks and documents, that are necessary for documents.
Total cost for one year of study is 14.000€ for General medicine.
Admission criteria and entrance test
After passing an entrance examination, a student must submit required documents, especially verified school leaving certificate.
There is a multiple choice test written from biology and chemistry taking place twice a year – usually in June and August. Databank with questions can be bought from University or from our agency. Fee for an entrance examination is 40€ and is non-refundable. There is 2 hours and 30 minutes to complete a test.
Documents for registrations
• Signed application form – Application might be filled in on website e-prihlaska.upjs.sk (do not forget to switch to English language). Not all pages (for example grades from secondary school) need to be filled in. After completing application, it must be printed out, signed and submitted.
• Medical confirmation of physical and mental ability to study – This confirmation must be maximally 3 months old and contain information in English or Slovak, that there are no obstacles, that would be problematic for studium of applicant at Pavol Jozef Šafarik University
• Copy of passport or ID card
• Confirmation of entrance examination fee payment
• School leaving certificate – document does not need to be validated until the date of entrance examination.
• Recognition of secondary education from abroad – student must ask Ministry of education to issue official statement, that achieved level of education is equivalent to Slovak demands. This is quite a complicated procedure, where assistance is usually needed.