When speaking about institutions for higher education in Slovakia, we refer to third-level education, scientific and art institution.
Higher institutions can be classified according to the nature and scope of their activities.
- university type of higher education provides education at bachelor, master, and doctoral level, where study programs of the second and third level dominate.
- non-university educational institutions provide mostly study programs of the first level of higher education
There are 3 types of institutions when speaking in terms of funding and funding:
- Public higher education institutions which are established by law and most often financed by the government. Public higher institutions are statutory and self-governing institutions.
- State higher education institutions are medical, political and military schools. They are fully funded by the state budget and government by the perspective ministry of government.
- Private higher education institutions which are approved and funded by non-governmental institutions or founders. They mostly provide education in the field of economics, business, management, law, public administration, regional development, or social work. Every private higher educational institution requires state approval from the Government of the Slovak republic.
Higher education institutions are usually organised into organizational units, such as faculties, institutes and department.
Here is a complete list of Public higher education institutions in Slovakia:
- Academy of Arts in Banská Bystrica
- Matej Bel University in Banská Bystrica
- The University of Economics in Bratislava
- Slovak Technical University in Bratislava
- Academy of Fine Arts and Design in Bratislava
- J. Selye University in Komárno
- Pavel Jozef Šafárik University in Košice
- Technical University in Košice
- The University of Veterinary Medicine in Košice
- Constantine Philosopher University in Nitra
- The Slovak University of Agriculture in Nitra
- University of Prešov
- Catholic University in Ružomberok
- The University of Saint Cyril and Methodius in Trnava
- Technical University in Trnava
- University of Žilina
State higher education institutions in Slovakia are the following:
- Academy of Armed forces of M. R. Štefánik in Liptovský Mikuláš
- Police Academy in Bratislava
- Slovak Medical University in Bratislava
And finally, this is a list of private higher education institutions in Slovakia:
- Academy of media professional college media and marketing communication in Bratislava
- International School of Liberal Arts in Bratislava
- Technological institute in Dubnica nad Váhom
- Pan European University in Bratislava
- College Danubius
- School of Economics and Management in Public Administration in Bratislava
- College Goethe Uni Bratislava
- College of Management in Trenčín
- College of International Business ISM Slovakia in Prešov
- College of Health and Social Work of Saint Elizabeth in Bratislava