Institution: Comenius University
Faculty: Faculty of natural sciences
Mode of Application: Online
Application deadline: Ending of March
Start date: winter semester, September
Course Duration: 3 Years
Qualification: BSc (Diplom)
Mode of delivery: on campus
Study type: taught, Full time.
Fees, cost, and funding: 1000€/year (Subject to change at each academic)
Admission requirements: High school leaving certificate.
Proof of English – it is not mandatory, but increase your chances of admission (e.g. IELTS or TOEFL)
Transcript of records
Total the application fee is € 50.00
Admission process: all applicants must pass a written entrance exam that takes 60 minutes. It consists of multiple-choice questions (MCQ) in English. The approximate distribution of questions is as follows: Biology – 50 %; Chemistry – 50 %.
Biological Chemistry comprises biology and chemistry. The course introduces students to a field merge with biology and Chemistry.
The Bachelor’s degree programme Biological Chemistry provides education in a world language – English, which constitutes an essential communication tool, both in multinational companies as well as on international research teams. It is an interdisciplinary major for 4.2.1 Biology and 4.1.14 Chemistry. This programme is designed to give students a scientific background and insight that will enable them to enter the labour market. The programme also provides qualified theoretical knowledge from both above-mentioned areas. The biological basis lies in cell biology, microbiology, virology, genetics, molecular biology, animal and human physiology, immunology and biotechnology. Topics in chemistry include general and inorganic chemistry, organic chemistry, analytical chemistry, physical chemistry and biochemistry. Ample time is dedicated to the teaching of mathematics, physics and information technology. In addition to theoretical knowledge, great emphasis is placed on practical skills. More than six hours per week, which represent one-fourth of the teaching time, are devoted to practical training. The programme also provides practical training in private research institutions. One of the advantages of the study programme is a relatively small target group, approximately 20 students, allowing for improved teaching focused on individuals.
Graduates of the study programme Biological Chemistry receive the following skills:
- good theoretical knowledge in Biology, Biochemistry and Chemistry
- good practical skills in the main areas of Biology, Biochemistry and Chemistry (3 weeks practical training in private research institution)
- the solving of scientific problems by using a multidisciplinary level approach
- the ability to follow safety instruction and protocols and to work safely in a laboratory
- the ability to analyse data (biology, chemistry, biochemistry)
- an introductory level of knowledge in ethics
- the ability to collect and interpret relevant scientific information (in written and oral communication)
- use of computers/ICT as a work instrument
- knowledge of scientific English at a high level
- formation of research and scientific reports