History of the Technical University
The Technical university is situated in Košice, second biggest city in Slovakia and was founded in 1952. History of technical education in Slovakia tracks back to 1762, when Austro-Hungarian monarch Maria Theresa established the Mining Academy in Banská Štiavnica. Technical education in Košice has its roots from year of 1937, when M.R. Štefanik State Technical University was founded in the city. Due to war incidents, university was later relocated to Bratislava, where it served as foundation for Slovak Technical University.
The real establishment of the Košice Technical College was on 8th of July 1952, when Faculty of Heavy Engineering, Faculty of Mining and Faculty of Metallurgy were established. In 1960, the Faculty of Electrical Engineering was founded and finally in 1978, Faculty of Electrical Engineering.
College was later renamed to Technical University and became one of the most influential and prestigious institutions in region.
The number of students currently attending nine TUKE faculties is 10 643. Out of this number there are 8 728 full-time students (5 293 Bachelor students, 3 435 Master students and 672 Postgraduate students). More than 700 professors, associate and assistant profesors work here, and the same number of research and administrative staff.
Present of The Technical University
Nowadays, the University has more than 10 000 students within 9 faculties. Out of this number there are more than 8 700 full-time students in Bachelor, Masters and Postgraduate studies. More than 700 professors, associate and assistant profesors work here, and the same number of research and administrative staff.
TUKE caters for a wide range of educational needs not only in the East-Slovak region, but throughout Slovakia and Central Europe, as in many specializations it is the only centre of education and research in this area. TUKE closely co-operates with other universities and with industrial organizations throughout the region and the Slovak Republic.